Maine Consolidated Power Company Records
Scope and Contents
The financial records of an electric utility in Maine. Included are daybooks, cashbooks, journals and ledgers. Also included are annual reports to the Maine Public Utilities Commission, property valuations, and property tax studies. Two volumes of records of the Farmington Falls Electric Company are also found in this series. Series II contains a small amount of material from the Franklin Light & Power Company and Wilton Light Company. Financial information from the Phillips Electric Light & Power Company is also included, as well as an account book from the Kingfield Line Company. Each of these companies also has a separate record in URSUS, the Library's on-line catalog; therefore its assigned manuscript number is included in its description.
- Majority of material found within 1920-1950
- Maine Consolidated Power Company (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
In 1929 the Maine Public Utilities Commission gave approval for the consolidation of the Franklin Power Co., Inc.; Franklin Light & Power Co.; Franklin Power Co.; Strong Lighting & Improvement Co.; and Wilton Light Co., thus formally establishing the Maine Consolidated Power Company. Over the years more local power companies were bought It was acquired by the Central Maine Power Company in 1966.
20 linear feet (ledgers ; 25-36 cm)
5.2 cubic feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
The financial records of an electric utility in Maine.
Organization and Arrangement
The collection is arranged in two series: Records of the Maine Consolidated Power Company and Records of predecessor companies.
- Cashbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Central Maine Power Company
- Daybooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Electric utilities -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmington Falls Electric Company (Me.)
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ledgers (Account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Maine Consolidated Power Company Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Brenda Howitson Steeves
- March 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States