Emery and Kinney Families Papers
Scope and Contents Note
A collection relating to the Emery and Kinney families of Eastport, Maine. Most of the material concerns Roscoe C. Emery and his daughter Joyce Emery Kinney. Included is correspondence to and from Roscoe C. Emery. Correspondents include Margaret Chase Smith, Owen Brewster, and Helen M. Day. Included also is a small collection of Emery family letters and genealogies. Included also are newspaper clippings and miscellaneous family papers. The papers of Joyce Kinney include a photograph of her, correspondence, examples of her left and right handed writing, papers written when she was a high school student, an obituary of her husband, a copy of her book The Vessels of Way Down East with additions (restricted until her death), and personal memorabilia. The folio folder contains the articles Joyce Emery Kinney wrote under the pseudonym Amos Boyd for the Downeast Times from Feb. 12 to Dec. 2, 2000 about Maine history.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Roscoe C. Emery, son of Oliver and Josephine Emery, was a politician, journalist, and real estate and insurance agent in Eastport, Maine. He was the owner and editor of the Eastport Sentinel from 1914-1946 and owner of the Sentinal Real Estate Agency. He served in the Maine State Senate from 1921 to 1925 and was Mayor of Eastport from 1928 to 1931 and 1935 to 1936. He was also active in the Quoddy Dam Project and the Eastport Chamber of Commerce. He and his wife Vera had two children: Walter L. and Joyce L.
Lena Emery was the wife of Henry E. Emery, brother of Roscoe C. Emery.
Joyce Emery Kinney was an Eastport historian and author. She was born on September 20, 1924 and passed away on October 4, 2016. Joyce Kinney graduated from Shead Memorial High School, class of 1941; W.S. Normal School in Machias, class of 1945; and the University of Maine in Orono in 1948 where she also received her Masters in Education in 1955. She is the daughter of Roscoe C. and Vera L. Emery. She married Grover Bradford Kinney (1924-1981) of Eastport.
2 Folders (135 items)
1 folio folder (31 items)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The historical articles written by Joyce Emery Kinney for the Downeast Times were a gift from her in December 2000. The remainder of the collection was a gift from Josephine Kinney, Calais, Maine in March 2000.
The researcher may also wish to consult the Roscoe C. Emery papers in the Special Collections Department of the Fogler Library.
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brewster, Owen, 1888-1961
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Day, Helen M., 1901-1987
- Eastport (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Emery family
- Emery, Roscoe C., 1886-1969
- Kenney family
- Kinney, Grover Bradford, 1924-1981
- Kinney, Joyce E.
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Merchant ships -- Maine -- Washington County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Smith, Margaret Chase, 1897-1995
- Washington County (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Emery and Kinney Families Papers
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note