Reuel Williams Collection
Scope and Contents Note
A collection relating to a U.S. Senator from Maine. Included are a guest book used by Reuel Williams covering the years 1841 to 1847, a letter from Helen Augusta Williams Gilman dated July 4, 1847 in Augusta to her husband Dr. John T. Gilman in Portland, Maine in which she describes the Fourth of July celebrations in Augusta and the visit of President Polk and Secretary of State Buchanan, and a transmittal letter from John T. G. Nichols to Muriel Sanford in November 1991 which relates his relationship to Reuel Williams and his great grandparents Dr. John Taylor Gilman and Helen Augusta Williams Gilman.
- Majority of material found within 1841-1847
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Reuel Williams, a Senator from Maine, was born in Hallowell, Maine, June 2, 1783. He attended Hallowell Academy, studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1804 and commenced practice in Augusta, Maine. He was a member of the State legislature 1812-1829, 1832, and 1848. He was elected February 22, 1837, as a Democrat to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Ether Shepley and served from March 4, 1837, to February 15, 1843, when he resigned. He died in Augusta, Maine, on July 25, 1862.
Helen Augusta Williams Gilman was a daughter of Reuel Williams who later married Dr. John Taylor Gilman, a founder of the Maine General Hospital which became the Maine Medical Center in Portland.
John T. G. Nichols was the great, great grandson of Reuel Williams.
1 folder (3 items)
Language of Materials
A collection relating to Reuel Williams, a U.S. Senator from Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by John T. G. Nichols, South Bristol, Maine in November 1991.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Buchanan, James, 1791-1868
- Gilman, Helen Augusta Williams, 1817-
- Gilman, John Taylor, 1806-1884
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Polk, James K. (James Knox), 1795-1849
- Registers (Lists) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Williams, Reuel, 1783-1862
- Guide to the Reuel Williams Collection
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States