Lion Locomotive Collection
Scope and Contents
Contains correspondence about the locomotive, its history and its transfer from place to place. Many letters are to and from W.J. Sweetser, professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Maine, and H.D. Watson, head of the mechanical engineering department. Other letters are from Louis Ibbotson, librarian at the university, John R. Lyman, chair of the mechanical engineering department in the 1970s, and university presidents Arthur Hauck and Howard Neville. The collection also contains information about the history of the locomotive, newspaper and journal articles, and photographs.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the Library.
The locomotive Lion was built by Isaac Hinkley of Boston, completed in 1846. It operated on the Whitneyville and Machiasport Railroad, carrying lumber from 1846 to 1890. Subsequently it was exhibited at various times in Portland and Orono, Maine, finally residing on the campus of the University of Maine. In 1986, the locomotive became part of the collection of the Maine State Museum, Augusta.
Language of Materials
- Lion (Steam locomotive) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Locomotives -- History -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture postcards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroads -- History -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Signatures (Names) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine -- History
- Whitneyville and Machiasport Railroad
- Guide to the Lion Locomotive Collection
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.