Highway Surveyor's Books : Tremont, Maine
Scope and Content Note
Highway surveyor's tax lists for the 12 districts in the town of Tremont, Maine for the years 1856 to 1884, listing names and taxes owed. Included are books for 1856 (Districts 9 and 11), 1862 (District 9), 1869 (District 12), 1870 (Districts 1 and 7), 1873 (Districts 1, 3-4, 8-9, 11-12), 1876 (Districts 2, 4-5, 7, 10), 1877 (Districts 1, 3-5, 9-11), 1880 (Districts 9, 10), 1881 (Districts 1-8, 10-12), and 1884 (Districts 1, 4, 7-9, 12). Included also is a letter from the highway surveyor of District 3 in 1882 to the assessors listing corrections in his report. Included also is a letter to Mr. Heath, one of the Tremont selectmen, from Mrs. M.J. Richardson in Boston dated Feb. 18, 1879, and a handwritten diary (4 pages), author unknown, from Feb. 7 to March 3, 1871 concerning the author's travels in Maine and the weather.
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Tremont, Maine, is located 25 miles south of Ellsworth and was the terminus of the stage-line from Ellsworth. It was formerly a part of Mount Desert and was detached and incorporated in 1848.
1 folder (44 books and 4 items)
Language of Materials
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Municipal government records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tax records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Taxation -- Maine -- Tremont Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tremont (Me. : Town) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Highway Surveyor's Books : Tremont, Maine
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note