Donaldson Koons Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains papers of Donaldson Koons of Sidney, Maine, focusing primarily on his work as Chair of the Maine Land Use Regulation Commission (LURC) in 1973 and 1974. The LURC records concern both policy matters and day-to-day operations of the Commission. They involve activities to develop a comprehensive plan for land use and development, planning documents, legislation, correspondence, lawsuits involving the Commission, and documents outlining Koons' differences with the Commission's executive director at the time. Also included in the collection are a few folders, mostly correspondence, from Koons' service on the Maine Water and Air Environmental Improvement Commission, later the Environmental Improvement Commission, and material documenting his involvement with various environmental groups in the state.
- Majority of material found within 1973-1974
- Koons, Donaldson (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Edwin Donaldson Koons was born in 1917 in Seoul, Korea and attended school there, leaving Korea in 1934. He received his Bachelor's, Master's, and Ph.D. degrees in geology from Columbia University. After serving with the O.S.S. in World War II, he was a professor and department chair of geology at Colby College from 1947 until his retirement in 1982. Long active in efforts to improve water and air quality in Maine, Koons became a member of the Maine Water and Air Environmental Improvement Commission in 1968, serving as Chair from 1969 through 1972. Koons served as a board member of the Maine Department of Environmental Protection in 1973 and as Commissioner of the Department of Conservation in 1973-1974. As such he also served as chair of Maine's Land Use Regulation Commission. Koons was also appointed in the mid-1970s to the state's Geology Advisory Committee, a group formed to assist and advise the State Geologist and the Maine Geological Survey.
1.4 cubic feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection contains papers of Donaldson Koons of Sidney, Maine, focusing primarily on his work as Chair of the Maine Land Use Regulation Commission (LURC) in 1973 and 1974.
Organization and Arrangement
Folders are arranged in alphabetical order with headings used by Koons. Information has been added for clarity as needed.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Professor Richard Judd in July 2001.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Environmental policy -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Environmental protection -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Land use -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Land use -- Maine -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislation Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine. Environmental Improvement Commission
- Maine. Land Use Regulation Commission
- Maine. Water and Air Environmental Improvement Commission
- Records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Donaldson Koons Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States