Marion Whitney Smith Papers
Scope and Content Note
The papers of a Maine author. Included are photocopies of her stories and poems written when she was a student at the Prince School in Boston, newspaper clippings of reviews of her books, issues of The Millinocket Journal (1953, 1956, 1962 and 1963) containing articles by her and reviews of her books, the summer 1953 issue of The pine cone: a panorama of Maine with a review of her book Katahdin fantasies, 3 photographs of her, newspaper clippings of stories about her, and issues of the Katahdin journal with her column "Do you remember..." from 1971 and 1972 and co-written with her husband Kingman.
- Smith, Marion Whitney (Person)
Language of Materials
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Marion Whitney Smith was a Maine author living in Millinocket. Whe was born in 1901 and died on April 21, 2004. She attended the Prince School in Boston, Massachusetts. During this time she had several essays and poems published in the Boston newspapers. Her family lived in Boston during the winters and summered on Winthrop Beach. She graduated from Miss Sherman's Secretarial School in Boston and studied writing at the Palmer Institute of Authorship. In 1930 Marion's husband, Kingman, was offered an engineer position at Great Northern Paper Co. in Millinocket, Maine. She wrote and researched extensively throughout her life. Among her writings were Katahdin fantasies (1953), Algonquian and Abenaki Indian myths (1962), and 1971-1972 weekly newspaper articles entitled "Do you remember..." She also wrote short stories, magazine articles, and unpublished novels.
1 folio folder
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by Marion Whitney Smith in 1975.
- Authors, American -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Indians of North America -- Maine -- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Katahdin, Mount (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Millinocket (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Smith, Kingman
- Guide to the Marion Whitney Smith Papers
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note