Robert Peter Tristram Coffin Collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection of a Maine author. Included are an autographed letter to his Cousin Georgie dated January 30, 1935 and a photocopy; four autographed letters to Arthur F. Winslow of the Poetry Club of Hartford, Conn. dated August 8, August 14, and September 10, 1935, and February 10, 1936 concerning an engagement to speak to the club; and an autographed letter to Fred dated November 2, 1949 discussing his writing style. Included also is a newspaper clipping of a review of "Strange Holiness" by Coffin and a photocopy; two mimeographed copies of "Maine: a state of grace", the commencement address by Coffin at the University of Maine on June 15, 1937; and the May 1940 issue of The American Girl with Coffin's poem "The Name."
Language of Materials
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Robert Peter Tristram Coffin grew up in Maine and attended Bowdoin College, Princeton University, and Oxford University, where he was a Rhodes Scholar. He taught at Wells College in Aurora, New York, and was Pierce Professor of English at Bowdoin College from 1935 until his death. Winner of the 1936 Pulitzer prize in poetry, Coffin authored more than forty books of prose and verse. He was a founder and a faculty member of the Towle Writers' Conference at the University of New Hampshire.
1 folder (12 Items)
The researcher may also wish to consult the Robert Peter Tristram Coffin Collection at the University of New Hampshire Special Collections.
- Authors, American -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baccalaureate addresses -- University of Maine Subject Source: Local sources
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Coffin, Robert P. Tristram (Robert Peter Tristram), 1892-1955
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Robert Peter Tristram Coffin Collection
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note