Gardiner Lyceum Collection
Scope and Content Note
A collection of records concerning the Gardiner Lyceum in Gardiner, Maine. Included are correspondence sent to Ralph K. Jones, Librarian at the University of Maine, concerning his request for documents relating to the Gardiner Lyceum. Correstpondents include Samuel L. Boardman, George T. Little, Robert H. Gardiner, Moses Hale Douglass, and H.V. Partridge. Included also are notes on the Lyceum probably by Ralph K. Jones; a typescript of the Report of the Committee on Literary Institutions on the petition of the trustees of Gardiner Lyceum, printed in 1832 by I. Berry & Co. in Augusta, Maine; handwritten copy of an address at the anniversary of the Lyceum to the graduating class in 1826; handwritten copy of a speech delivered in 1827 at the Lyceum Baccalaureate; typescripts of records from 1822 to 1857 of the Lyceum including bylaws, laws, minutes of meetings of the trustees; a typescript from the unfinished autobiography of Robert Gardiner; a typescript of An Address to the public from the trustees of the Gardiner Lyceum printed by Goodale, Glazier & Co in Hallowell in 1822; a handwritten manuscript of the history of the Lyceum; a copy of a speech about the Gardiner Lyceum read by George M. Holmes at a library reception in 1898; and a printed sketch of the Lyceum done in 1922 by Henry Richards.
Language of Materials
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Gardiner Lyceum was incorporated by an act of the legislature of Maine in 1822 to provide an education to mechanics and farmers to enable them to become skillful in their professions. It was the forerunner of land-grant colleges and was founded in 1823 by Robert Hallowell Gardiner, trustee and chief benefactor of the Lyceum. It was reorganized as an Academy in 1848.
- Boardman, Samuel Lane, 1836-1914
- Douglass, Moses Hale
- Gardiner Lyceum (Gardiner, Me.)
- Gardiner, Robert Hallowell, 1782-1864
- Gardiner, Robert Hallowell, 1882-
- Holmes, George M.
- Illustrations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jones, Ralph Kneeland, 1866-1917
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Little, George Thomas, 1857-1915
- Partridge, Henry Villiers, 1839-
- Private schools -- Maine -- Gardiner Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Richards, Henry, 1848-1949
- Typescipts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Gardiner Lyceum Collection
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note