Civil War Letters
Scope and Content Note
A collection of Civil War letters. The collection includes letters from Henry Stillman McIntire to Lyman Bolster; from R. O. Stockbridge to Albert C. Bolster in West Peru, Maine; from James H. Hammon to Albert C. Bolster; and from Dexter Delano. The letters date from 1861 to 1864. The collection also includes carbon copies of typescripts of the letters and a letter of transmittal from Phillips V. Brooks dated January 5, 1966.
- Majority of material found within 1861-1864
- Brooks, Phillips V. (Collector, Person)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Henry Stillman McIntire was born on June 16, 1824 in Cumberland County, Maine. In 1850 he was living in Westbrook (near Portland, Maine) and working as a machinist. In 1851 he married Betsy Bailey in her hometown of Peru, Maine. In 1860 they were living on a 500 acre farm in Peru. In 1861 Henry enlisted at Canton and joined Company G of the 1st Maine Cavalry. He was mustered out in 1863. In 1880 he represented the town of Peru in the Maine state legislature, and he also served several terms as a town selectman in Peru. He died in Peru in 1893.
Lyman Bolster was in trade in a brick store (Grange Hall) at West Peru, Maine from around 1842 to 1866 when he moved to Bryant Pond.
James Harvey Hammon was born in 1840 in Peru, Maine and died in 1864 in Colorado.
1 folder (27 items)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Phillips V. Brooks in 1966.
- Delano, Dexter
- Hammon, James H., 1840-1864
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McIntire, Henry S., 1824-1893
- Stockbridge, R. O.
- Typescipts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Civil War Letters
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Civil War Letters
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note