Surgeon Albion Cobb Diary
Scope and Contents
Transcription of a diary of an assistant surgeon written during his service with the 4th Maine Volunteers during the Civil War. The dates of his diary are from 26 May 1863 to 14 June 1864. The diary was transcribed by Richard F. Potter of Woodstock, Connecticut in July 1996, and he also included information about other events and people during Albion Cobb's service. Included are photocopies of short biographies of Brigadier General John H. H. Ward and of Major General David Bell Birney.
- Potter, Richard F. (Person)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Richard F. Potter was a resident of Woodstock, Connecticut in July 1996 and transcribed the diary of Albion Cobb.
Albion Cobb was born in Westbrook, Maine in 1824 and was the oldest son of Asa and Nancy D. Cobb. He began the study of medicine in August 1847 and graduated from the Medical School of Maine at Bowdoin College in the class of 1851, having in the mean time attended one term at the Medical Department of the University of New York. In May 1852 he began the practice of medicine at Bolster's Mills in the town of Harrison, Maine, where he remained in active practice for over seven years. He moved to Webb's Mills in the town of Casco and in 1862 he enlisted as an assistant surgeon and served in Company S, 4th Infantry Regiment Maine. He had the sole medical and surgical charge of the regiment until he was mustered out on 19 July 1864 in Rockland, Me. From August 1864 to June 1865 he was acting assistant surgeon in the United States Army and stationed at Harewood Hospital near Washington, D.C.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Richard F. Potter.
- Birney, David Bell, 1825-1864
- Cobb, Albion
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Typescipts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 4th (1861-1864)
- Ward, J. H. Hobart (John Henry Hobart), 1823-1903
- Guide to the Surgeon Albion Cobb Diary
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note