Charles Rogers Ireland Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains personal papers and business records of Charles R. Ireland as well as a few papers of other members of the Ireland family. Also included are a few personal papers of James Rogers and his son John Rogers. The majority of the collection contains business ledgers and invoices to Wm. B. Ireland and Son and C.R. Ireland for goods purchased for their dry goods and grocery business in Stetson. Records (1874-1887) of the Stetson Post Office are also found in the collection
- Ireland, Charles Rogers (Person)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Charles Rogers Ireland was born in Stetson, Maine, in 1854, the son of William B. and Mary A. Rogers Ireland. In 1874 he became a partner in his father's dry goods and grocery business in Stetson, purchasing his father's part of the business about two years later. He was appointed postmaster in Stetson in January 1877 and served as postmaster and trial justice until 1884. He was acting postmaster in Stetson from 1897-1915. He was also a member of the Maine legislature in 1925. In 1893 he married Jennie May Dunning, and they had two children: William Dunning Ireland and Dorothy Rogers Ireland. William B. Ireland, father of Charles Ireland, was born in Corinth, Maine, in 1826. He later moved to Stetson and established his grocery burinss there. In 1852 he married Mary A. Rogers, the daughter of James and Clarissa Rogers of Wolfeboro, N.H. James Rogers was born in Wolfeboro, N.H. in 1798; he came to Stetson in 1833, settling on a farm there. He was a selectman in Stetson for several years and served two terms in the Maine legislature. He died in 1878. His son John Rogers was born in Wolfeboro in 1826, coming to Stetson with his parents as a child. He taught school for a few years, was a selectman, clerk, treasurer and trial justice for the town of Stetson and served in the Maine legislature for several years.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Robert W. Daigle and Nelson O. Newcombe.
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Bills of sale Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- General stores -- Maine -- Stetson Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ireland, William B.
- Postal service -- Maine -- Stetson Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rogers, James, 1798-1878
- Rogers, John, 1826-
- Stetson (Me.) -- Commerce Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stetson (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stetson Post Office (Stetson, Me.)
- Guide to the Charles Rogers Ireland Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.