Westerfield Historical Collection
Scope and Contents
A non-systematic collection of personal and business papers, including ship logs, diaries, account books, and family letters from 1783-1890. Most of the documents are from 1850-60, and chiefly from Maine. It is unknown whether all the material is from the same greater family, or perhaps miscellaneous collected material. Certain family connections are apparent in the personal letters.
Personal letters include family correspondence of late 18th century-19th century. Maine family names include: Goss, Sewall, Waterhouse, Morgan, Barber, Dunham, Merrill, Merritt, Bickford, Bromer, Dennison, Maxim, Thomas, McDonald, Murch, Philbrook, Clark, Cookson, Bridgham. Sentimental letters between Ambrose and Maria Philbrook (1855-59), and letters sent to Mary Bickford from her brothers and an admirer (1862-65) contain Civil War sentiments and experiences. L. Humphrey's diary (F11) reflects twenty-five years of his life in the early 1800's. The ship's logs contain drawings, doodles, and aside comments. 18th century documents include an accounts book (F20), and a tax list (F25). There is one published document in the collection, John Truair's Call From the Ocean or Appeal to the Patriot and the Christian In Behalf of Seamen (1826). Almost sixty years of land sales and transfers (27 documents) detail the rise to prominence of the Rusell family of Pittsfield and Dover-Foxcroft, Maine (F21 & F22). There are photocopies of two non-personal letters from P.T.Barnum.
Included in the collection: Truair, John. Call From The Ocean, or An Appeal to the Patriot and the Christian in Behalf of Seamen. New York, The American Seamen's Friend Society, Printed by John Gray & Co., 1826.
- Westerfield, Peggy Hartshorn (collector, Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Mrs. Peggy Westerfield collected historical documents, manuscripts, and textiles for many years. She sold and donated much to Colby College, Bowdoin College and the Brooklyn Museum.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is a mix of personal and business documents concerning families other than the Westerfield Family. These documents include ships logs and diaries, personal diaries, account books, and letters. A few other family related documents are included.
Arrangement is basically as it was found, by type of correspondence. The folders are numbered consecutively, but have been arranged into three series: I. Personal Papers II. Business Papers III. Miscellaneous.
I. Personal Papers: Letters (9 folders) Journals, Diaries, Copybooks (4 folders)
II. Business Papers: Log Books (2 folders) Accounts, Records, Deeds (6 folders)
III. Miscellaneous: Map of Georgia; North Carolina Court List; Tax List; Lottery Letter; Truair, John. Call From the Ocea n, or An Appeal to the Patriot and the Christian in Behalf of Seamen. New York, The American Seaman's Friend Society, Printed by John Gray & Co., 1826. (4 folders)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Peggy (Mrs. Jason) Westerfield of Camden, Maine, November 1966. Transferred to Special Collections 1970.
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Copybooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Elvira Owen (Ship)
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Logs (Records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Payrolls Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Philbrook, Ambrose
- Phoebe (Brig)
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Russell, Samuel B.
- Shipbuilding Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shipping Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ships Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Westerfield Historical Collection
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.