WLBZ Radio Station Records
Scope and Contents
The collection includes photographs, administrative, and marketing related documents stemming from station activities from 1926 through the 1970s. Several publications and documents were added, ranging in date through 2015, and reflect on the history of the station. These include a publication by the Maine Association of Broadcasters, summaries written by Edward E. Guernsey and Barry Darling, and a draft of a doctoral dissertation written by Erica Risberg, "We broadcast what people wanted to hear" : networks and local programming, WLBZ, Bangor, Maine, 1931 to 1945.
A bulk of the records are station logs for the years 1931-1957. Logs typically indicate the time slot during which each program aired. Many also include technical statistics, including voltage, current amps, and radion frequency checks.
Audio in several formats was included. Many recordings have been digitized and are available online at https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/wlbz_station_records/
- WLBZ (Radio station : Bangor, Me.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
WLBZ began as a "hobby" radio station in 1921. Regular broadcasting began in 1922. The first official licensed broadcast was made from a chicken coop on December 30, 1926 in Dover-Foxcroft. WLBZ, Bangor, was bought by Acton Communications in 1978 and became WACZ. In 1983, the station was bought by Stephen and Tabitha King and became WZON.
48 linear feet (88 boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by the station manager of WLBZ.
- Blueprints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Broadcasting -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Licenses Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Logs (Records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Radio stations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schedules Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the WLBZ Radio Station Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- May 2015: finding aid revisiion description not supplied