Rumford Light Company Records (Central Maine Power Company Collection)
Scope and Contents
Financial records of a local electric utility in Maine. Included are account books, cashbooks, journals, and ledgers covering the years 1892 to 1959.
- Rumford Light Company (Me.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
In 1892 Hugh Chisholm, the founder of International Paper Company, and his associates established the Rumford Falls Light and Water Company in Rumford, Maine. Its organization was ratified by Chapter 365 of the Acts of 1893 and it was authorized to do business in the towns of Rumford, Mexico and Peru. Its name was changed to the Rumford Light Company in 1947. It was purchased by the Central Maine Power Company in 1958; Central Maine Power brought an electric transmission line into Rumford, thus connecting it with Central Maine Power's integrated system in southern Maine.
77 ledgers (29-43 cm.)
Language of Materials
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cashbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Electric utilities -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ledgers (Account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Central Maine Power Company (Organization)
- Guide to the Rumford Light Company Records (Central Maine Power Company Collection)
- In Progress
- Brenda Howitson Steeves
- March 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States