Prentiss and Carlisle Co., Inc. Business Records
Scope and Contents
The business records of the estate of Henry E. Prentiss, as administered by Henry M. Prentiss, concerning timberland holdings. Includes stumpage bills, records of checks received and sent, and correspondence. Also includes the Aroostook Land Company records.
- Prentiss, Henry Mellen (Person)
- Prentiss, Henry E., 1809-1873 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Henry E. Prentiss, original owner of the timberlands, died in 1873. His holdings were administered by Henry M. Prentiss. In 1924, Henry M. Prentiss and George T. Carlisle became partners in Prentiss and Carlisle. Prentiss and Carlisle held and administered timberlands.
20 ledgers (20 volumes)
21 linear feet (21 boxes)
Language of Materials
Box numbers have changed.
New box numbers
- Box 1 (formerly box 1399)
- Box 2 (formerly box 1400)
- Box 3 (formerly box 1401)
- Box 4 (formerly box 1402)
- Box 5 (formerly box 1403)
- Box 6 (formerly box 1404)
- Box 7 (formerly box 1405)
- Box 8 (formerly box 1406)
- Box 9 (formerly box 1407)
- Box 10 (formerly box 1408)
- Box 11 (formerly box 1409)
- Box 12 (formerly box 1410)
- Box 13 (formerly box 1411)
- Box 14 (formerly box 2654)
- Box 15 (formerly box 2655)
- Box 16 (formerly box 2656)
- Box 17 (formerly box 2657)
- Box 18 (formerly box 2658)
- Box 19 (formerly box 2659)
- Box 20 (formerly box 2660)
- Box 21 (formerly box 2661)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Prentiss and Carlisle Company, July 1986, with additions in 1999.
Cataloging of boxes 2654-2661 is in progress. See Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Aroostook Land Company
- Baskahegan Dam Company
- Bills of sale Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Land titles -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers (Account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lumbering Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mattawamkeag Drive Subject Source: Local sources
- Prentiss & Carlisle Co.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Timberlands Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the Prentiss and Carlisle Co., Inc. Business Records
- In Progress
- Elizabeth Russell
- November 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States