Bill Geagan Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains personal papers of Bill Geagan, an author, columnist, illustrator and naturalist from Bangor, Maine. This small collection includes correspondence and contracts with his publisher, Coward-McCann; drawings and illustrations, especially for his Christmas cards; and manuscripts and drafts of various articles and essays written by him. Also included are photographs and obituaries, an unidentified printing plate, and two wristwatches.
- Majority of material found within 1950s
- Geagan, Bill (Person)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
William H. Geagan was born in 1903 in Bangor, the son of William and Anne Geagan. Even as a youngster he drew and wrote about nature and the outdoors. After graduation from Bangor High School, he spent two years at his cabin in the woods writing articles and short stories about the outdoors and submitting them to national publications. This led to a long career in outdoor and sports writing involving hundreds of nature articles, a nationally syndicated outdoor column, and positions on the sports staff at the Bangor Daily Commercial and the Bangor Daily News. He was also the author of three books: Nature I Loved, The Good Trail, and Seed on the Wind, all published by Coward-McCann in the 1950's. Bill Geagan died in 1974.
Language of Materials
The collection contains personal papers of Bill Geagan, an author, columnist, illustrator and naturalist from Bangor, Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Artifacts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Authors, American -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Outdoor writers -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Bill Geagan Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.